Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sweating and Swiping




With the introduction of the iPad mini, the corresponding release of the seventh generation iPod Nano is often overlooked.  To remind you:
“Now that the new 7th generation iPod Nano has been released, it seems to have mixed both aspects of the 5th and 6th generation Nano bringing back the video playback but not including the camera the 5th generation had.  Since the 5th generation iPod Nano was released, it seems as though Apple had fit the most features into the Nano with a decent size capacity of 16 gigabytes.  But over time it seems Apple had gotten obsessed with the touch screen feature which in turn got in the way of the more appealing aspects such as the camera that the 5th generation had.  When it comes to purchasing the new 7th generation iPod Nano, it seems it would be a good buy with a price of $150.  But if you are thinking about trading in your 5th generation Nano for the 7th, that may not be a reasonable deal.  Especially if you enjoy the camera the 5th generation has.”

Though the whole of this excerpt is informative, I wish to further its one sassy comment:  Apple is obsessed with touch screens.

What do I think of touch screens?  My entrancing analysis:

On a tablet?  Sensible.  On a phone?  Tedious.  On a music player?  Dopey.

What do you do with your music player?  If you’re like me, you bring it to the gym.  While you tire on the treadmill, you listen to those boisterous tunes that inspire your workout and aid you as you attempt another mile.

Riddle me this:  What is one act performed by all exercising individuals, regardless of their distaste for this unseemly human function?  Said succinctly and tactlessly, humankind sweats.  If you’re like me (and all of my breathing peers), you also sweat.

What’s my point?  The last thing I want to do while gasping on a treadmill is fumble with a miniscule screen to avoid smudging it with my overly moist grasp.  I’m weary, I’m irritable, and I’m not in the mood to smear my pricey gadget as I swipe to a new song.

I cannot stop wondering…  Has Apple performed market research that [wrongly] confirms our enthusiasm for touchscreens?  Am I the only one who prefers the original iPod dial?  Do users authentically enjoy touchscreens enough to justify Apple’s integration of this feature into EVERY device?

My hope:  That my current iPod lives forever so I can avoid the unpleasantly sticky practice of sweating and swiping.

No comments:

Post a Comment