Sunday, October 14, 2012

HP: Dethroned



In addition to detailing the general decline in worldwide shipments of personal computers, this article discusses HP’s stagnant sales and Lenovo’s leaping popularity.

“China's Lenovo Group Ltd edged out Silicon Valley icon Hewlett-Packard Co to become the world's No. 1 PC maker in the third quarter, according to data released by research house Gartner on Wednesday.  A rival to Gartner, IDC, still ranks HP in the lead - but by less than half a percentage point - in terms of PC shipments worldwide.  Both studies reinforce HP's struggles against rivals as new chief executive Meg Whitman tries to overhaul the stalled 73-year-old company.”

This summer, I initiated a fatiguing quest for a new laptop.  Though macs are the go-to products for most buyers, I prefer the PC layout and decided to select from the standard brand spectrum:  Toshiba, HP, Lenovo, Asus, and Sony.

After purchasing and returning a Toshiba with a faulty battery, I chose the Lenovo ideapad.  Why?  Because an HP with comparable specs cost $150 more.

My saga follows.  Note my selective use of past tense:

Because I care so little for technology, I’m partial to simple machines that accomplish tasks with the fewest buttons and processes possible.  Lenovo satisfied this preference.  The keyboard and features were both minimalistic.  Indeed, while watching a brief YouTube clip, I attempted to lower the PC’s volume and found that the machine only recognized six or eight sound increments, with no pleasing options between “too soft” and “too loud.”

When adjusting brightness, the unglamorous outline of a grey sun appeared on my screen.  Moreover, webcam features and bonus software were both nonexistent.  None of these failings bothered me.

However, the exterior of the machine was poorly finished.  The edges looked to be snapped together, with a few fringes of some variety of cotton or string defiantly sticking out.  My greatest grievance, however, was the touchpad.  Beyond the lousy scroll functions and the overly responsive touch sensitivity, the pad itself was poorly fastened to the computer.  Indeed, I noticed that one corner was even detached from the body of the machine.

After owning the laptop for a month, the touchpad failed.  Though I could move the mouse, I could not click by tapping or pushing on the pad.  Back to BestBuy it went.

If we dismiss my touchpad as a dud, I will admit that, overall, the laptop functioned well.  Moreover, no other computer boasted an i5 processor for such a reasonable price ($650 range).  Though the aesthetics of the machine were unexceptional, I do understand the surging popularity of Lenovo.

With this knowledge, I offer HP only two options:  Lower prices to compete with emerging price-conscious brands or somehow offer a differentiated PC experience that is so remarkable, it merits the added cost.

And for those curious few, I am typing this blog post on my new Asus notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment