Sunday, October 28, 2012

I can do everything better than you...except print.



As an iPad owner, I share the confusion of my befuddled peers who cannot understand why the Apple tablet, which boasts miraculous capabilities, cannot perform a function that my 1995 Compaq somehow managed.  The iPad cannot print.

Apparently, “The iPad doesn't have built-in software to talk to printers.  But it does have software that lets it talk to a Mac laptop.  So to print from an iPad, it first has to (wirelessly) ask the Mac, “Would you mind telling the printer to print this document for me?”  If the Mac has been set up properly to hear the iPad, it will print out the document, because the Mac does have built-in software to talk to printers.”
Though Apple could have equipped the iPad with this competency, “that would have taken up a lot of room on the iPad's flash drive, room that's probably better spent holding apps, music, video and other more interesting stuff.

While I prefer that the iPad preserve its capacity to accommodate my applications, notes, and music, I do wish the sucker could print.  The device walks, talks, and squawks like a computer, so why not perform all the same functions?

However, as one article reminds me, “the iPad is not designed to replace a PC, much like a microwave oven can never replace a conventional oven.  But it's quite a neat device, although, yeah, printing is one thing it cannot do by itself.

Last week, I posted about the brydge keypad that transforms an iPad into a laptop.  As a highly functional yet simple device, I would consider condensing my personal technologies (and freeing some space in my charger drawer) by retiring all devices other than my iPad.  However, it is these limitations that remind me of the iPad’s impracticality.  Though the compact, suave, and futuristic qualities of the tablet make it endlessly…cool…it is not a sensible everyday gadget.

Thus, I must retain my laptop and my overcrowded charger drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment